Sexual Assault and the Law

SUNY Brockport has programs to protect all members of the University community from sexual assault, including programs for prevention and prosecution of crimes that occur within the jurisdiction of the University Police.

Educational Programs

University Police and student development staff provide programs promoting awareness of rape, acquaintance rape, and sex offenses during New Student Orientation and throughout the academic year.

Allegations of sexual assault or rape occurring on campus should be reported as soon as possible to University Police, (585) 395-2222. Off campus incidents should be reported to the Brockport Police Department or the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department by calling 9-1-1.

Efforts are made to ensure the confidentiality of all reports, except as required to investigate the alleged offenses. University authorities may issue a safety alert to the University community, depending on the circumstances of the crime. Victims may choose criminal prosecution, a referral to the student conduct system, or both.

Members of the campus community may report criminal incidents to:

  • University Police at (585) 395-2222
  • Title IX Coordinator Denine Carr can be reached at (585) 395-5066
  • Office of the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs at (585) 395-2137
  • Office of Student Affairs at (585) 395-5990
  • Student Conduct Coordinator at (585) 395-5196
  • Student Health Center at (585) 395-2414
  • Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities at (585) 395-2122
  • Counseling Center at (585) 395-2207
  • Helpline at (585) 395-2796

Victims also can report a crime on a voluntary, confidential basis. Reports of this nature are filed with the University Police for information purposes only, but there is no formal investigation. Counseling Center professionals, who are informed by persons they are counseling of the commission of a crime, may also inform that person that crimes can be reported to the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs on a voluntary, confidential basis for inclusion in the University’s crime statistics only.

If You’re a Victim of Sexual Assault

  • Report the assault to the police immediately. Call (585) 395-2222 on campus, or 9-1-1 off campus. Police cannot investigate the incident as a crime unless you file a formal report. Reporting a crime initiates an investigation but does not obligate you to pursue a criminal prosecution.
  • Go to a hospital emergency room as soon as possible. (Evidence can be collected several hours after an attack, but its value may be diminished.) Do not wash, change clothing or otherwise “clean up.” Bring a full change of clothing because clothes worn at the time of the attack may be kept as evidence.
  • Follow-up medical care is crucially important. You may need tests for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy.
  • Numerous campus and community support and referral resources are available to help you. These services may be accessed through the police, hospital emergency departments or any of the University offices listed above.