Graduation is not an automatic process. Students must apply to graduate online in order to receive their diploma. Applying for Graduation is different than signing up to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony.

Commencement vs Graduation

Step 1: Apply for Graduation (Degree)

In order to graduate and receive your diploma you need to apply for graduation. You will need a graduation application on file for every degree or certificate you anticipate to graduate with.

  • Log in to Web Banner
  • Click Student Services
  • Click Student Records
  • Click Apply for Graduation
  • Complete and submit the application

Please apply for the term you will have completed all your degree requirements, including student teaching, internships, and overseas programs.


  • Undergraduate students: Completion of 84 credit hours
  • Graduate students completing a degree: Completion of a minimum of 21 credit hours
  • Graduate students completing a certificate: Completion of 6 credit hours

All course work and the graduation application must be submitted by the 15th of the month following the end of the term you intend to graduate. For example, all course work and the graduation application must be submitted by June 15 for a spring term graduation.

Please ensure that the name on your graduation application is the name you want to appear on your diploma and that the address on your graduation application will be the appropriate address to mail your diploma to when you receive your degree.

Step 2: Participate in the Commencement Ceremony

Students need to register in advance to participate in the Spring Commencement ceremony; registration is separate and different from applying for graduation.

To sign up for Commencement, please fill out the Commencement Ceremony Sign Up at the end of your Graduation Application.

Step 3: Make Sure you are ready to graduate

  • Review your degree audit on Degree Works. All requirements must be satisfied on your audit in order for your degree to be conferred. If you believe there is an error, contact your advisor immediately.
  • Check with your advisor to make sure you’re on track to graduate.
  • Make sure SUNY Brockport has official final transcripts on file from any other college or university you may have attended.
  • All final grades must be in by the conferral dates. Make sure Study Abroad, independent study and internship grades have been submitted.


Please direct any inquiries to the Office of Registration and Records to or (585) 395-2531. For other questions related to graduation, refer to our Graduation FAQ.