A term appointment, except for Appendix A, Appendix B or Appendix C titles, of the Policies of the Board of Trustees o the State University of New York, shall be for one to three years which will automatically expire at the end of the period unless terminated earlier because of resignation, retirement, termination or death. Term appointments may be given to academic rank, qualified academic rank, and professional employees. For part-time employees, a term appointment must be given to employees (ex. Adjunct Lecturer) in the professional services bargaining unit after the completion of six consecutive semesters of service. New Hires should be given a one year term appointment.
- A term appointment cannot exceed beyond an employee’s expected permanent appointment effective date.
- Term appointees need to receive “timely notice” of renewal/non-renewal of term appointments, and if applicable, “timely evaluations”. This is extremely noteworthy if a term appointment may not be renewed.
- *Full-time employment on a temporary basis cannot be for more than one year. The employee should be given a term appointment if s/he will continue employment.
Appendix A, B, and C budget titles: Classification of Titles
- Some Non-teaching professionals are not eligible for permanent appointment. Appendix A Professional Titles, Appendix B Athletic Titles, or Appendix C Fundraising budget titles are not eligible for permanent appointment. There is a list of these titles available in the Board of Trustees Policies, available here.
- Appendix A titles: employees are granted regular term appointments for the first three years of employment (minimum term appointment is one year up to a maximum term of three years). Upon the completion of a total of three years of consecutive service, renewals are in five year increments. Examples include, but are not limited to: Director of Financial Aid, Director of Admissions, Director of Libraries, and University Registrar.
- Appendix B titles and Appendix C titles: appointees are granted regular term appointments for the first four years of employment (minimum term appointment is one year up to a maximum term of three years). Following the fourth year of employment, employees in Appendix B titles shall receive term appointments of three years. Examples include, but are not limited to: Head Coach, Coach, Director of Fundraising