You must submit itemized receipts for all travel expenses related to your award with your Student Travel Check Request form. Eligible expenses will be reimbursed up to your awarded amount. Please review the following guidelines determine what expenses are eligible for reimbursement:

I. Meals

  • An itemized meal receipt detailing all food and beverage is required.  Credit card receipts not accompanied by a detailed receipt are not reimbursable.
  • Alcoholic beverages are not eligible. Please request a separate receipt for beverages containing alcohol.
  • Lunch is not reimbursable.
  • Reimbursement is based on your meal receipts and not on State per diem rates. Student travel is not eligible for per diem.  
  • The amounts allowed per meal is based on New York State guidelines and varies depending on the location. If your receipt(s) are over the amount, you will not receive full reimbursement.
  • Group meals – please ask for separate receipts. If it is not possible for you to get an individual itemized receipt and you must submit a group meal receipt, make sure that that your individual portion of the charge is clearly identified.
  • Each student will be reimbursed for his/her/their individual food and beverage items regardless of who paid the expense. For example, if one student pays for a group meal shared by three other students, each student, including the one who paid the bill, will be reimbursed only for the food and beverage items that he/she/they ordered. The other three students would be responsible for reimbursing the student who paid the group bill.

II. Lodging

  • SUNY Brockport is exempt from New York State sales tax. Please use the attached  Tax Exempt Certificate upon checking in to the venue where you will be staying. No tax will be reimbursed to you for any New York State lodging. If the venue employee checking you in has any questions, he/she/they may call Laura Merkl at (585) 395-2444.
  • Each student will be reimburse for his/her/their lodging expense only, regardless of who paid the expense. For example, if a student pays for a room that is shared by four students at a total cost of $100, each student sharing the room, including the one who paid the full charge for the room, will be reimbursed $25. The other three students will be responsible for reimbursing the student who paid for the room.

III. Transportation

  • Travel by air, bus, train or vehicle, the cost of your transportation to/from the conference or seminar and to/from your lodging location is an eligible expense. Transportation for travel to/from restaurants, for sightseeing, etc. are not eligible expenses. Please note that seat upgrades, preferred boarding, etc. are not reimbursable.
  • If you drive your personal vehicle, you will be reimbursed mileage at the IRS mileage rate current at the time of travel. Please attach Google Maps or MapQuest verification of the number of miles as well as completing a Statement of Automobile Travel form. This form should be submitted with your Student Travel Check Request form.
  • Passengers cannot request mileage reimbursement; however, passengers can request reimbursement for gas charges paid if they have a receipt AND the driver is not claiming mileage. Mileage and gas cannot be paid for the same trip. If the driver and passengers are claiming gas, please list on the back of the Check Disbursement Form the name of the driver and all passengers
  • Parking is a reimbursable expense with receipt.
  • Taxi and Uber, Lyft, etc. expenses are reimbursable only for transporting you to/from the hotel/motel that you are staying at or the conference or seminar that you are attending only. Local transportation charges for travel to/from restaurants, for sightseeing, etc. are not reimbursable. Receipts are required.