Undergraduate Research Conferences
National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) and SUNY Undergraduate Research Conference (SURC) are annual undergraduate research conferences for matriculated, enrolled students. They offer a forum to present research projects and creative work to either a national and state audience. SUNY Brockport supports a cohort of student presenters each year to both the NCUR and SURC conferences.
The SUNY/CUNY Undergraduate Research Conference (SURC) is a multidisciplinary spring semester event. SURC brings together undergraduate students and faculty mentors from across the SUNY/CUNY system for a full day of activities, including sessions devoted to student presentations (oral, performance, artistic displays, and poster), luncheon, keynote speakers, a SUNY Graduate School and Career Fair, and professional development workshops for students and faculty. SURC is supported by the Offices of the Chancellor, Provost, and Research Foundation, as well as SUNY student and faculty governance organizations. All undergraduate students engaged in research and their mentors across SUNY and CUNY are invited to attend.
SURC 2023 details will be added as received.
NCUR 2023 Fellow Program
The Council on Undergraduate Research is excited to announce that the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) will be in person at the University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire from April 13-15. NCUR is dedicated to promoting undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative activity in all fields of study by sponsoring an annual conference for students. Unlike meetings of academic professional organizations, this gathering of student scholars welcomes presenters from all institutions of higher learning across all disciplines.
THROUGH THE NCUR FELLOW PROGRAM, WE WANT TO:
- Ensure departmental faculty engagement in the NCUR Fellow process.
- Achieve early submission of student abstracts to ensure as many Brockport students as possible are presenting at NCUR 2023.
FACULTY MENTORS WILL:
- Identify significant student research projects.
- Encourage student applications to the NCUR Fellow Program.
- Review student abstracts prior to submission to the NCUR 2023 website.
- Submit their own abstracts to NCUR by November 30, 2022.
- Submit applications for a Brockport NCUR Fellowship to the NCUR Campus Committee via online application in MachForm by December 9, 2022.
- Pledge their commitment with a signed NCUR 2022 Commitment Statement available in the MachForm application. The University will only support students in covering the full registration cost who submitted the Application MachForm including the Commitment Statement.
- Register for the conference during an early morning 7 am mandatory meeting, date TBD. Students may come in person to Smith 103.
CONFERENCE & ABSTRACT SUBMISSION INFORMATION
NCUR is essentially a national version of Brockport’s Scholar’s Day. Students from all fields present on their research or creative activity either orally, by poster, or by performance/exhibition. NCUR also features 3-4 plenary speakers giving typically highly motivating presentations on topics of wide interest. Career related sessions and opportunities for meeting graduate school representatives are also provided. Some programming for faculty and administers is also available to share best practices for fostering undergraduate research.
NCUR 2023 Conference Information
NCUR 2023 offers for the first time a competition option, for which we would like to all Brockport NCUR 2023 Fellows to participate. Besides the abstract text, a pre-recorded two-minute flash talk is required, which is exactly what our SURP students practiced this summer!
This link also provides the submission details and discipline specific guidance on writing your abstract. Please read this provided information carefully before crafting your abstract.
- If more students are accepted than the University can financially support, students who have attended NCUR before will be given lower priority and NCUR 2023 fellowships will be determined by Brockport NCUR fellowship application date/time order. (First come, first served.)
“Brockport has provided me with positive and life-changing experiences like NCUR and SURC.” M. Hutchings, NCUR-SURC Fellow 2016 & 2017