Day of Departure

  1. Obtain your keys between 7:00 am – 4:00 pm
    1. Bring or fax your approved vehicle request form to the Facilities & Planning Service Center (Commissary building, fax #2502). If you are obtaining keys to a van, remember to bring proof of completion of the van safety training course and proper identification.
    2. For pricing pertaining to early departures or canceling a reservation without notification.
  2. The E-Z pass is permanently attached to the vehicle. The gasoline charge cards are located in the glove compartment or in the driver’s door in a 15-passenger van, of your vehicle.
  3. Each rental vehicle has an assigned parking space. Please park your locked, personal vehicle in same parking location where you will obtain your rental vehicle.
  4. Facilities & Planning is not responsible for personal items left in a state vehicle.

Departures on Holidays, Weekends, or Prior to 7:00 am

Keys are available before 4:00 pm on the day prior to an early departure, or the Friday before a holiday or weekend. If departure is on a Saturday, Sunday, or a CSEA designated non-working holiday, the Facilities and Planning Customer Service Center will be closed.

The vehicle key(s) can only be obtained on the working day closest to the requested departure date. The departure date for the vehicle will remain as requested.

Returning a Rental Vehicle

  1. The employee must complete the “Actual Trip Information” section of the vehicle request form. Incomplete information will result in a charge based from the last day this vehicle was rented.
  2. If you return prior to 4:30 pm, bring the keys, completed vehicle request form, and gas and toll slips expended using NYS devices to the Facilities and Planning Service Center.
    1. If you are returning after 4:30 pm, place all items listed above in the drop box located in the door east of the gas pumps in the Chapman building.
  3. The vehicle driver is expected to return the vehicle clear of all debris and food as well as adherence to the no smoking policy. A cleaning charge plus the replacement cost of vandalized parts may be charged if the vehicle is not returned in appropriate condition.
  4. When returning a vehicle to the University, it is acceptable to return the gas tank on empty, unless otherwise advised.

Accidents & Theft

If an accident and/or theft involving a University-owned vehicle occurs, it is the driver’s responsibility to file a report with the police. On-campus accidents, or theft of the vehicle, should be reported to University Police for completion of the proper paperwork. All off-campus accidents, or theft of vehicle, should be reported to the proper law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction where the accident occurred.


If you experience difficulties while in possession of a State vehicle or have any questions about this process, please call (585) 395-2408.