The AACSB-accredited Marketing Major prepares students for a career in advertising, social media and digital marketing, sales management, market research, and brand management in both the for-profit and non-profit organizations. The program also prepares students for advanced, graduate business study.
Admission to the Program
A student’s cumulative GPA in the foundation courses is used to determine whether the student will be admitted to the major. Students must earn a minimum average GPA of 2.5 in the seven foundation courses listed below, with no grade lower than “C-.” Transfer grades are included in the calculation of the foundation prerequisite GPA.
Foundation Course Requirements (21-22 credits)
- CIS 217 Fundamentals of Business Computing
- ACC 281 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 282 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ECN 201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECN 202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECN 204 Introduction to Business Statistics
- ONE of the following:
Note: An introductory statistics course from another discipline may be substituted for ECN 204. However, credit towards graduation will be allowed for only one introductory statistics course.
Students who successfully complete these requirements can declare the major in Marketing.
Students who pursue the Marketing Major as part of a Bachelor of Science degree must satisfy all the major-specific requirements. Students are also bound by the policies and procedures of the School of Business and Management. To satisfy degree requirements, students must earn 1) a grade of at least C- in all courses required for the major, and 2) an overall GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the major.
Only business students who have declared their major or minor are permitted to register for 400 level courses in the School of Business and Management.
General Education Requirements (31-34 credits)
Prerequisites (0-6 credits)
Corequisite Courses (4 credits)
Business Core Courses (27 credits)
- ECN 304 Intermediate Statistics
- BUS 325 Principles of Finance
- BUS 335 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 345 International Business Environment
- BUS 361 Production and Operations Management
- BUS 366 Organizational Behavior
- BUS 375 Business Law I
- BUS 378 Business, Government, and Society
- BUS 475 Strategic Management (for seniors only)
Marketing Courses (15 credits)
- BUS 441 Marketing Management
- Major Electives: FOUR of the following:
Other Electives (5-12 credits)
Total Credits (120 credits)
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
Competency Goal 1: Knowledge of Business: Students master knowledge of key business concepts and theories
- Objective 1.1 Students are able to identiry and apply key business concepts and theories associated with core business areas.
Competency Goal 2: Analytical and Critical Writing: Students are capable of critically analyzing business conditions, and communicate effectively in a written format.
- Objective 2.1 Students demonstrate skills to critically analyze business issues.
- Objective 2.2 Students demonstrate effective written communication skills.
Competency Goal 3: Professional Preparedness: Students are prepared for successfully entering the job market.
- Objective 3.1 Students demonstrate market readiness in a professional setting.
Competency Goal 4: DEI and Social Responsibility
- Objective 4.1 Students understand the equity, diversity, inclusivity, and social responsibility issues in business.