|Brockport Information & Technology Services
|Responsible Cabinet Member
|VP for Administration & Finance
|Last Revision Date
|Last Review Date
SUNY Brockport is committed to providing faculty and staff with the computing power they need to successfully fulfill their role. BITS will provide or partially fund replacement computers for faculty and staff on a regular basis. Funding for these computers is currently derived from tech fee revenue and is limited on an annual basis. It is possible that not all eligible computers will be replaced in a given year as replacement will cease when funds are exhausted. Any eligible computer not replaced during a given year due to lack of funds will be prioritized the following year over any other computer being replaced on campus.
To establish a policy for Employee Computer Replacement.
Devices covered by this policy:
- Microsoft Windows-based computers
- Apple Mac computers
Employees covered by this policy:
- Full-time University at Brockport faculty and staff on a budgeted permanent line whose position requires a computer, and Lecturers who have been employed continuously for four years or more. Lecturer is a full-time non-tenure track position.
Employees not covered by this policy:
- Employees of affiliated entities (BASC, BSG, REOC, Research Foundation, etc.) are not covered by this policy.
There are no definitions for this policy at this time.
BITS will determine a computer replacement ranking on an annual basis prior to the start of the Fall semester. The ranking will be based on the following factors:
- The computer is a minimum of four (4) years old, and
- The computer is the user’s newest (most recently purchased) computer.
- Eligible computers will be ranked by age with older computers having a higher replacement priority. In addition, eligible computers running an unsupported operating system will have a higher priority than those running a supported operating system.
- BITS will notify users whose computers are eligible for replacement based on the ranked list of eligible systems.
- Users have the choice of having their computer replaced or delaying the replacement for another year unless the operating system is no longer supported by the manufacturer.
- Users choosing to replace will have the option of a standard Windows desktop or laptop offered by the University or applying the dollar value of a standard laptop to the purchase of a different configuration.
- If the user chooses to purchase a configuration that exceeds the cost of a standard Windows laptop (based on NYS contract pricing), the user’s department is responsible for funding the additional cost.
- The new computer will be exchanged for the computer being replaced and BITS will remove the original computer at the time of replacement. In addition, the following guidelines will be followed:
- New Computer
BITS will confirm all relevant files, applications, and programs are installed, configured and functioning properly on the new computer, unless outdated and/or unsupported.
- Old/Original Computer
BITS will either redeploy or dispose of the old/original computer as follows:
- If useable, the old computer will be reimaged (which wipes out all information) and redeployed to a function area (work/study student desk, circulation desk, etc.) or to an adjunct professor.
- If unusable, the old computer’s hard drive will be physically destroyed and the computer will be scrapped/surplused through our current vendor for this purpose.
- New Computer
Links to Related Procedures and Information
History (in descending order)
|Next Review Date
|Draft Review Date
|Draft Policy under 30-day Campus Review
This policy was approved by President’s Cabinet on 2019-11-06