|Responsible Unit||Brockport Information & Technology Services|
|Responsible Cabinet Member||VP for Administration & Finance|
|Last Revision Date|
|Last Review Date|
This policy informs the University community of the email and network rules and regulations.
There are no definitions for this policy at this time.
By accessing your account through the network, hardware or software provided by SUNY Brockport, you agree to the following Rules and Regulations for Internet and email use.
- These rules and regulations have been formulated to inform the community of acceptable and appropriate use of Internet and e-mail.
- SUNY Brockport owns and operates its computing and network resources to further the education, research, and public service mission of the State University of New York.
- Any use of University Internet/email services that violates state or federal law, or SUNY or University policies, is prohibited.
- Any use of Internet/email which results in plagiarism, copyright infringement or any other violation of academic regulations is not allowed.
- SUNY Brockport provides a standard e-mail address for all faculty and staff (generally first initial/last firstname.lastname@example.org) and all faculty and staff must use this as their official email address.
- SUNY Brockport does not allow the automatic forwarding of email. This policy has been implemented for the following reasons:
- Security: Automatic forwarding poses a number of security threats.
- Privacy: Automatic forwarding increases the risk that confidential information would be sent outside of our environment.
- Delivery of Bmail: The University relies on email for official communications to students. We can confirm delivery of e-mail to Brockport mailboxes; however, we cannot guarantee that messages are delivered to servers outside of our environment.
- SUNY Brockport provides Internet and email access for educational and research purposes only. University Internet/email accounts may not be used for personal business, profit-making activities or game playing.
- SUNY Brockport requires that all faculty and staff email accounts are included on the faculty/staff email distribution list. As one community, it is important to have consistent communications and this is particularly important for providing important information during emergency situations such as extraordinary weather conditions, H1N1 flu updates, etc.
- Users should understand that Internet/e-mail is NOT secure. No guarantee of security or even arrival of transmissions is made. Internet and e-mail should not be used for the transmission of confidential or sensitive data including Personally Identifiable Information (PII), credit card information (PCI) and health information (HIPAA). Users agree to respect the privacy of others’ information.
- Users agree to use software and network access at their own risk. Problems should be reported immediately to an ITS staff member.
- Users agree to respect system capacity. Mail files should be brief, limited to 1 MB in size (including attachments).
- Users agree that accounts are for their individual use only. Using someone else’s account or allowing others to use your account is not permitted, and may result in permanent loss of computing privileges or University disciplinary sanctions.
- Use of Internet/email services must be consistent with this policy. Violators of this policy will be subject to the existing student or employee disciplinary procedures of SUNY Brockport. Sanctions may include the loss of computing privileges. Illegal acts involving SUNY Brockport computing resources may also subject users to prosecution by state and federal authorities.
Links to Related Procedures and Information
There is no additional information for this policy at this time.
Brockport Information & Technology Services
Office Location: Allen Admin 216A
Phone: (585) 395-5151
BITS Web Page
History (in descending order)
|Next Review Date||2020-12-10||Five-year review|
|Adoption Date||2015-12-10||Policy Adopted|
There are no approvals for this policy at this time.