|Responsible Unit||Office of Human Resources|
|Responsible Cabinet Member||VP for Administration and Finance|
|Last Revision Date|
|Last Review Date|
SUNY Brockport is committed to maintaining appropriate internal controls regarding the security and distribution of paychecks. Departments are responsible for the security of paychecks and ensuring that an employee is entitled to the paycheck prior to distribution.
There is no purpose/scope provided for this policy at this time
There is no applicability provided for this policy at this time
There are no definitions for this policy at this time.
Human Resources sorts and sends paychecks to each department in a secure bag on payday. Human Resources includes a paycheck distribution card in the bag, which must be signed by the department representative(s) indicating the number of checks they received. Department representatives should return the bag to Human Resources by flipping over the insert on the front of the bag. Failure to return the bag will delay the distribution of your next checks. Each department will have two representatives (one backup) who will take responsibility for the distribution of paychecks. Human Resources will send out requests twice a year to update the individuals responsible for paycheck distribution.
- The department representative should review all paychecks to ensure that each employee works in their department and is entitled to receive the check. If the representative has questions, or needs help determining if an employee is entitled to a paycheck, contact the Payroll Office immediately at 395-2126.
- If the department representative receives a paycheck for an employee not assigned to their department or a new employee who failed to report to work, contact the Payroll Office immediately at 395-2126.
- Employees may pick up their paycheck from the department distribution representative. Paychecks can not be released to anyone other than the employee, unless the employee provides a written authorization for someone else to pick up their paycheck. The individual will be required to present a photo ID.
- Office of the State Comptroller guidelines prohibits the release of any check before pay day.
- Paychecks must be secured in a locked location when they are not being personally distributed.
- Employees must be given reasonable access to pick up their checks. Deviations from the usual distribution procedures within a department should be communicated to all employees as soon as possible.
- Employees who are not available to pick up their paycheck from the department (e.g. adjunct teaching a night course), may request in writing to have their paycheck mailed or placed in their mailbox. If a check is mailed, it must be put in a separate envelop with the department return address. If a check is returned, please send it to Human Resources along with a reason for the return.
- If you are missing a paycheck or an employee loses a paycheck, contact the Payroll Office at 395-2126 immediately for instructions.
- Under no circumstances should a check be returned to the Payroll Office. All undeliverable checks should be returned to Human Resources for safe keeping. Please include a note with the check with the reason the check is being returned.
- Unclaimed paychecks should be returned to Human Resources within 10 business days of the check date. The only exception to this rule is if the employee is absent from work and request the department hold on to the check until they return.
- All unclaimed checks will be returned to the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance if they are not claimed within 30 days.
Links to Related Procedures and Information
There are no links for this policy at this time.
Payroll Office: 585-395-2126
History (in descending order)
|Next Review Date||2019-12-01||Five-year review|
|Revision Date||2018-10-01||Updated contact phone number|
|Adoption Date||Unavailable||Policy Adopted|
There are no approvals for this policy at this time.