Withdrawal From a Graduate Program or From Non-degree Status Policy

  • Academic
  • Student - Graduate
Responsible Unit Center for Graduate Studies
Responsible Cabinet Member Provost and VP for Academic Affairs
Adoption Date 2009-06
Last Revision Date
Last Review Date

Policy Statement

An explanation of the process for withdrawing from a graduate program.


There are no definitions for this policy at this time.

Policy Procedures

Withdrawal from a Graduate Program or from Non-degree Status

On occasion, a matriculated graduate student may wish to withdraw from a graduate program. Similarly, a non-degree (non-matriculated) graduate student may wish to withdraw from non- degree status

In either case, the student must take two actions:

1. Withdraw from either graduate program membership or from non-degree status by providing written notification to the Graduate School of his/her intent to withdraw from either the graduate program or from non-degree status. Note: If a matriculated student withdraws from classes, but not from his/her program, s/he will continue to be listed as a graduate student. Over time, the student in such a circumstance would continue to be notified about policy violations and would eventually be dematriculated for lack of registration (See Graduate Continuous Enrollment Policy).


2. Withdraw from courses. Contact the Office of Registration and Records for information on course withdrawal.

Note: Withdrawal from a graduate program or from non-degree status does not automatically withdraw students from courses.

Links to Related Procedures and Information

There are no links for this policy at this time.

Contact Information

Center for Graduate Studies

Office Location: Rakov 101

Phone: 585-395-2525

History (in descending order)

Item Date Explanation
Next Review Date 2014-06 Five-year review
Adoption Date 2009-06 Policy Adopted


There are no approvals for this policy at this time.