|Responsible Unit||Center for Graduate Studies|
|Responsible Cabinet Member||Provost and VP for Academic Affairs|
|Last Revision Date|
|Last Review Date|
An explanation of the criteria for academic clemency – an appeal to have up to 9 graduate credits stricken from the graduate cumulative GPA.
A matriculated graduate student may apply for Graduate Academic Clemency so that up to 9 credits of graduate coursework taken at SUNY Brockport remain on the student’s transcript but do not apply to the student’s cumulative graduate GPA.
- Must have a Brockport cumulative graduate GPA <3.0 to be eligible for Graduate Academic Clemency;
- Can be granted Graduate Academic Clemency one time only;
- Can have only enough course grades stricken from the cumulative graduate GPA to return the student to good academic standing.
There are no definitions for this policy at this time.
De-matriculated graduate student readmitted to a degree program
A dematriculated student who has not taken courses at Brockport for at least two calendar years may, upon readmission and enrollment, have Graduate Academic Clemency for graduate coursework previously taken at Brockport.
Current matriculated graduate student (case 1)
A current matriculated graduate student may have Graduate Academic Clemency for graduate coursework taken at Brockport, which even with sufficient grade(s) would not fulfill student’s current degree requirements.
Current matriculated graduate student (case 2)
A current matriculated graduate student may have Graduate Academic Clemency for graduate coursework taken at Brockport if:
- That course(s) would have fulfilled degree requirements if student had earned higher grade(s)
- Student subsequently successfully completes and transfers in credits from another institution, which were pre-approved in writing by the department as fulfilling the same degree requirement(s) as that course(s).
Non-matriculated student admitted and enrolled in a graduate degree program
A newly matriculated graduate student may have Graduate Academic Clemency for graduate coursework taken as a non-matriculated student at Brockport, which are not applied by the admitting department to fulfill degree requirements.
All coursework stricken from the cumulative graduate GPA through the clemency process do not count towards graduate degree requirements.
A student’s appeal for Graduate Academic Clemency requires the support of the graduate director and chairperson of the student’s degree program as well as the Dean of The Graduate School.
Links to Related Procedures and Information
There are no links for this policy at this time.
Office Location: Rakov 101
Phone: (585) 395-2525
History (in descending order)
|Next Review Date||2020-04||Five-year review|
|Adoption Date||2015-04||Policy Adopted|
There are no approvals for this policy at this time.