- PhD, The Ohio State University
Areas of Specialty
- Oral history
- Life history
- Humanistic Anthropology
- Art and aesthetics, Native North America—Arctic and Northwest Coast
“Faces of the Nunamiut” a study of maskmaking in the Nunamiut Eskimo village of Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska, the relationship of this art for the market to traditional knowledge of the land and its resources.
- 2005 (Co- editor with Molly Lee) Making It: Creating Artifacts in the Anthropological Setting. Special Section Alaska Journal of Anthropology 2(1-2).
- 2005 “Focus on the Fridge,” Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture 5(4): 32-37.
- 2004 Upside Down: Seasons among the Nunamiut. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.
- 2002 99721: The Place of Many Caribou Droppings. Folklore Forum 33 (1-2):35-44
- 1999 Death Comes to the Anthropologist: Reflections on the Haida Morturary Potlatch. In, Perspectives on Dying.and Death Edited by Kathleen Hunter, pp. 93-98. Madison, WI: Coursewise Publishing.
- 1997 In Their Own Images: The Anaktuvuk Pass Skin Mask. American Indian Art Magazine 22(4):58-67.
- 1992 During My Time: Florence Edenshaw Davidson, A Haida Woman. Seattle: University of Washington Press. Revised and enlarged edition.
- 1989 Sadie Brower Neakok, An Iñupiaq Woman. Seattle: University of Washington Press.