Skip to main content Skip to page navigation
- PhD, Northwestern University - Evanston, IL. June 1974 - American History
Dissertation: “The Savage and the Child: Images of Blacks in Southern White Thought, 1830-1915.”
- B.A., Rutgers University - New Brunswick, NJ, June 1965.
Departmental Honors Program in History, 1962-1965.
Areas of Specialty
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Faculty Service, 2006.
- Member, New York State Historical Records Advisory Board, 1996-present.
- Edmund J. Winslow Award for Excellence 1992.
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1981.
- The State University of New York at Brockport (Arcadia Publishing, 2006). co-authored with Mary Jo Gigliotti and W. Bruce Leslie.
- The Home-Front War: American Society and World War II, co-edited with Lynn Hudson Parsons. (Greenwood Press, 1995).
- “The United States, War and the Twentieth Century” in The Cambridge Companion to Modern American Culture (Cambridge, 2006).
- “America and Images of Censorship in Modern War: America in World War II,” Reviews in American History (September 1994).
Conferences and Presentations
- Chair and commentator on two papers on modern New York history, New York State History Conference, 1999.
- Paper (co-authored with Wanda Wakefield), “World War II in Film,” Popular Culture Association, April 1999.
- Panel member, “The Profession and Its Critics,” American Studies Association, November 1997.
- Invited paper, “Final Thoughts on World War II.”NEH sponsored conference held at the Cincinnati Historical Society, April 1995.
- Book reviews for the American Historical Review and New York History.