<picture class="lw_image"> <source type="image/webp" srcset="/live/image/gid/81/width/1000/8164_lerong_he.rev.1658865051.webp 1x"/> <source type="image/jpeg" srcset="/live/image/gid/81/width/1000/8164_lerong_he.rev.1658865051.jpg 1x"/> <img src="/live/image/gid/81/width/1000/8164_lerong_he.rev.1658865051.jpg" width="250" height="375" alt="" data-max-w="250" data-max-h="375"/></picture>
Lerong He , Ph.D
- Professor of Management & Associate Dean
Office: Hartwell Hall 119 A
- PhD, Management, University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- MA,Human Resources & Industrial Relations, University of Minnesota, 2000
- BS, Business Administration, Peking University, 1997
Strategic Management, Principles of Management, Management Topics Seminar, International Business Environment, Small Business Management, Entrepreneurship (MS), Innovation Management (MBA)
Corporate Governance, Strategic Leadership, Innovation Management, Sustainability, Emerging Markets
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- SUNY Chancellor’s Awards for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, 2020.
- The Best Conference Paper Award: Fang, J., He, L., and Shaw, T. “Do External Auditors Help Constrain Managerial Slack in China?” 2017 Symposium of Accounting, Auditing, and Corporate Governance Practices, November 2017.
- The Best Conference Paper Award: Shaw, T. and He, L. “Institutional Logics in Family Businesses: Evidence from Board Structure in Indian Public Firms.” The 9th International Symposium on Multinational Business, June 2017.
- Best Reviewer of the Year: Corporate Governance: An International Review, 2017.
- Emerald Literati Outstanding Paper Award: He, L. and Wan, H. 2013. “IPO Lockups, Founder Power, and Executive Compensation”, International Journal of Managerial Finance, 9(4): 314-331.
- The Best Conference Paper Award: Conyon, M. and He, L. “Executive compensation and corporate fraud in China”. Sustainable and Ethical Entrepreneurship, Corporate Finance and Governance, and Institutional Reform in China. April 2013,
- The Best Conference Paper Award: He, L. and Wan, H. “IPO lockups, Relative Bargaining power, and Executive Compensation”. Shanghai Conference on Finance and Entrepreneurship, May 2012.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China General Program Grant, 2021-2024, “Information Disclosure, Social Trust, and Crisis Management: Empirical Investigation and Policy Design”, Co-PI.
- National Social Science Fund of China, 2019-2022, “Risk and Monetary Policy Effects: Aggregate and Targeted Regulations”, Co-PI.
- National Natural Science Foundation of China General Program Grant, 2017-2020, Project #71673048, “Information Disclosure and Market Competition under Information Asymmetry: Theory, Evidence and Policy”, Co-PI.
- The Conversations in the Disciplines Program, State University of New York, AY/2018-2019, “University Technology Transfer and Commercialization: Incentive, Infrastructure, and Impact”. Project Director.
- Fujian 100 Innovation & Entrepreneurship Grant, 2015-2017, sponsored by Fujian Provincial Government, China, “Corporate Governance Environment, Innovation Infrastructure, and Entrepreneurship”. Principal Investigator.
- Taiwan Fellowship, 2014, sponsored by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan, ROC, “The Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor System and Stock Market Liberalization: Taiwan Experience for China”.
- The Conversations in the Disciplines Program, State University of New York, AY/2012-2013, “Environmental, Economic, and Social Sustainability: An Interdisciplinary Approach”. Project Director
- Faculty/Staff Technology Support Initiative Grant, SUNY Brockport, 2021-2022, “Multimedia Room Upgrade”
- Provost’s Post-Tenure Fellowship Award, SUNY Brockport, 2019-2022, “Policy & Market Uncertainties and Internationalization of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises”.
- Brockport Investment Fund for the Future, 2018-2019, “Bloomberg Lab for Business Majors and Minors”
- Brockport Investment Fund for the Future, 2017-2018, “Leading-edge Classroom Technology for Engagement and Skill Building of Generation Z Students”
- Scholarly Incentive Award, SUNY Brockport, 2014-2015, “Chinese Star CEOs: Personal Attributes and Performance Impact”.
- Provost’s Post-Tenure Fellowship Award, SUNY Brockport, 2013-2015, “Chinese Capital Market and the Development of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises”.
- Faculty/Staff Technology Initiative Grant, SUNY Brockport, 2012-2013, “Stata 12SE”.
- Pre-Tenure Grant Development Award, SUNY Brockport, 2011-2013, “Corporate Governance and Executive Compensation in China”.
- Faculty/Staff Technology Initiative Grant, SUNY Brockport, 2010-2011, “Audit Analytics”
Refereed Journal Publications:
- He, L., Huang, L. and Fang, L. 2022. Institutional Conditions, Economic Policy Uncertainty and Foreign Institutional Investment in China, Emerging Markets Review, 50: 100823 (ABDC: A)
- Lin, C. and He, L., Yang, G. 2021. Targeted Monetary Policy and Financing Constraints of Chinese Small Businesses. Small Business Economics. DOI 10.1007/s11187-020-00365-5 (ABDC: A)
- Shaw, T. and He, L., Cordeiro, J. 2021. Delayed and Decoupled: Family Business Compliance with Board Independence Requirements, British Journal of Management, 32(4): 1141-1163 (ABDC: A).
- He, L., Huang, L. and Yang, G. 2021. Invest in Innovation or Not? How Managerial Cognition and Attention Allocation Shape Corporate Responses to Performance Shortfall Management and Organization Review, 17: 815-850. (ABDC: A)
- Huang, L., He, L. and Yang, G. 2021. Performance Shortfall and R&D Investment Change: Aspirations, Actions, and Expectations. Sustainability. 13(6), 3006-3026. (SSCI: Q2)
- Lin, C. and He, L. 2020. Targeted Monetary Policy and Agriculture Business Loans. The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 54: 10290-10303. (ABDC: B)
- He, L. and Conyon, M. Chen, J. 2020. Signaling with Earnings Downgrades: How Reputational Concerns Shape Analyst Responses to Corporate Fraud? Corporate Governance: An International Review, 28(4): 240-263 (ABDC: A)
- Li, K, Fang, L. and He, L. 2020. The Impact of Energy Price on CO2 Emissions in China: A Spatial Econometric Analysis. Science of the Total Environment, 706: 135942 (SCI: Q1).
- Li, M. and He, L., Zhao, Y. 2020. The Triple Helix System and Regional Entrepreneurship in China. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 32 (7-8): 508-530 (ABDC: A).
- Li, K. Fang, L. He, L. 2019. How Population and Energy Price Affect China’s Environmental Pollution? Energy Policy, 129: 386-396. (ABDC: A)
- Fang, L., He, L., and Huang, Z. 2019. Asymmetric Effects of Monetary Policy on Firm Scale in China. Emerging Markets Review. 38:35-50. (BDC: A)
- Fang, J., He, L., and Shaw, T. 2018. The Effect of External Auditors on Managerial Slack. Accounting Horizons, 32(4): 85-115 (ABDC: A)
- Fang, J. and He, L., and Conyon, M. 2018. The CEO Horizon Problem and Managerial Slack in China. Management and Organization Review, 14(2): 343-376. (ABDC: A)
- Li, K., Fang, L., and He, L. 2018. How Urbanization Affects China’s Energy Efficiency? A Spatial Econometric Analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production, 200: 1130-1141 (ABDC: A)
- He, L., Yang, R., He, Y. 2018. Does Social Exchange Relationship Impair Audit Committee Effectiveness? Journal of Management and Governance, 22(2): 219-249 (ABDC)
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2017. Firm Performance and Boardroom Gender Diversity: A Quantile Regression Approach. Journal of Business Research, 79: 198-211. (ABDC: A)
- He, L., Shaw, T., and Fang, J. 2017. Managerial Labor Market during Institutional Transition: A Study of CEO Underpayment and Voluntary Turnover. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 25(3): 167-185. (ABDC: A)
- He, L. and He, Y. 2017. The R&D Tax Credit: What is in it for Small and Medium Sized Enterprises? Practical Tax Strategies Feb: 8-20. (Practitioner Journal, Cover Article)
- He, L. and Callahan, C. 2017. Presidential Compensation in Public Higher Education Institutions: Is There Pay for Performance? Journal of Academic Administration in Higher Education, 13(1): 47-56. (Practitioner Journal)
- He, L. and Fang, J. 2016. Subnational Institutional Environment and Executive Pay Disparity. Asia Pacific Journal of Management. 33(2): 371-410. (ABDC: A)
- He, L. and Fang, J. 2016. CEO Overpayment and Dismissal: The Role of Attribution and Attention. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 24(1): 24-41. (ABDC: A)
- Cordeiro, J., He, L., Conyon, M., and Shaw, T. 2016. Chinese Executive Compensation: The Role of Asymmetric Performance Benchmarks, European Journal of Finance, 22 (4-6): 484-505. (ABDC: B)
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2016. Executive Compensation and Corporate Fraud in China. Journal of Business Ethics. 134(4): 669-691. (ABDC: A)
- Conyon, M., He, L., and Zhou, X. 2015. Star CEOs or Political Connections? Evidence from China’s Publicly Traded Firms. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 42 (3-4): 412-443. (ABDC: A)
- He, L., Cordeiro, J., and Shaw, T. 2015. CEO Power, Equity Ownership, and Underwriter Reputation as Determinants of Lockup Period Length. Management Research Review, 38(5): 438-458. (ABDC)
- He, L. and He, Y. 2014. START-UP New York: Tax Incentives for Business Affiliated with State Universities. The CPA Journal, Dec. 54-61. (Practitioner Journal)
- He, L. Wang, H, and Zhou, X. 2014. How Are Political Connections Valued in China? Evidence from Market Reaction to CEO Succession. International Review of Financial Analysis. 36: 141-152. (ABDC: A)
- He, L. and Yang, R. 2014. Does Industry Regulation Matter? New Evidence on Audit Committee and Earnings Management. Journal of Business Ethics. 123(4):573-589. (ABDC: A)
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2014. CEO Turnover in China: the Role of Market-Based and Accounting Performance Measures. European Journal of Finance, 20 (7-9): 657-680. (ABDC: B)
- He, L. and Wan, H. 2013. IPO Lockups, Founder Power, and Executive Compensation. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 9(4): 314-331. (Outstanding Paper of 2013, ABDC: B)
- Cordeiro, J., He, L., Conyon, M., and Shaw, T. 2013. Informativeness of Performance Measures and Chinese Executive Compensation, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 30 (4):1031-1058. (ABDC: A)
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2012. CEO Compensation and Corporate Governance in China. Corporate Governance: An International Review, 20 (6): 575-592. (ABDC: A)
- Briggs, G. and He, L. 2012. The 150 Credit Hour Requirement and CPA Examination Pass Rates – A Four Year Study. Accounting Education: an International Journal. 27 (1): 97-108. (ABDC: B)
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2011. Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance in China. Journal of Corporate Finance. 17 (4): 1158-1175. (ABDC: A*)
- He, L. and Ho, S. K. 2011. Monitoring Costs, Managerial Ethics and Corporate Governance: A Modeling Approach. Journal of Business Ethics. 99 (4): 623-635. (ABDC: A)
- He, L. and Ho, S. K. 2009. The Anglo-Saxon Corporate Governance Model in Asia. Journal for Global Business Advancement, 2: 173-190. (ABDC)
- He, L. 2008. Do Founders Matter? A Study of Executive Compensation, Governance Structure and Firm Performance. Journal of Business Venturing, 23 (3): 257-279. (ABDC: A*)
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2004. Compensation Committees and CEO Compensation Incentives in US Entrepreneurial Firms. Journal of Management Accounting Research, 16: 35-56. ( ABDC: A)
- He, L. and Conyon, M. 2004. CEO Compensation, Incentives, and Governance in New Enterprise Firms. Journal of Derivative Accounting, 1: 47-60.
- Conyon, M., He, L. Thomsen, S. 2020. Lockdowns and Covid-19 Deaths in Scandinavia. COVID Economics, 26 (5): 17-42. Center for Economic Policy Research.
- Shaw, T. and He, L. 2017. Institutional Logics in Family Businesses: Evidence from Board Structure in Indian Public Firms. In S. Zhao, S. Nicholas, C. Liu, X. Lin, Y. Mao (eds.) Entrepreneurship, Organizational Change and Employment Management (Nanjing University Publishing), pp. 37-49.
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2016. CEO Compensation in US Financial Institutions, in C. Mallin (eds.) Handbook on Corporate Governance in Financial Institutions (Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd), pp. 87-121.
He, L. 2015. The Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor System and Corporate Governance in China, in D. Cumming, M. Firth, W. Hou, and E. Lee (eds.) Sustainable Entrepreneurship in China: Ethics, Corporate Governance, and Institutional Reform (Palgrave Macmillan, US), pp. 105-126.
- He. L. 2014. The Qualified Foreign Institutional Investor System and Stock Market Liberalization: Taiwan Experience for China. Report to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Center for Chinese Studies at National Central Library, Taiwan, ROC.
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2013. Chinese Top Executive Compensation: Where Do We Stand? in D. Cumming, A. Guarglia, W. Hou and E. Lee (eds.) Developing China’s Capital Market: Experience and Challenges (Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom), pp.146-175.
- Conyon, M. and He, L. 2012. Executive Compensation and Pay for Performance in China, in R. S. Thomas and J. G. Hill (eds.) Research Handbook on Executive Pay (Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, USA), pp. 414-435.
- Executive Secretary & Treasurer: International Association for Chinese Management Research, 2017-Present
- Co-Editor: Management Research Review, 2016-Present
- Editorial Board Member
- Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 2014-present
- Corporate Governance: An International Review, 2019-present
- Fuzhou University (China), School of Economics and Management, Distinguished Adjunct Professor of Business 01/2015-05/2024
- University of Rochester, Simon School of Business, Visiting Scholar 07/2017-01/2018
- National Chung Hsing University (Taiwan), College of Management, Visiting Professor 05/2014-08/2014