- PhD, in Comparative Literature, Princeton University, May 2004.
- Graduate Research Fellow, École Normale Supérieure & Université de Paris IV-Sorbonne, France, 2000–01.
- MA in Comparative Literature, Princeton University, May 2000.
- Graduate Research Fellow, Institute of Russian Literature - Pushkinskii Dom, Dostoevsky Museum, & Petersburg State University, Russia, 1998.
- MA in English and Comparative Literature and Theory, University of Dallas, 1996.
- BA in Soviet and East European Studies, minors in French & Art, Yale University, 1991.
Areas of Specialty
- Comparative literature, literary theory, cultural semiotics
- 19th- through 21st-century Portuguese, Brazilian, & Luso-African, French, Slavic & East European, diasporic and transcultural fiction and film
- Modernist narrative, modernisms in literature and art
- Post-modernist, post-colonial literature, film, art
- Urban contexts, urbane narrative constructs
- Remapping, recasting, reconfiguration, reorientation of cultural memory
- Women writers, filmmakers, artists, scholars
- Intercultural, interdisciplinary dialogue
- Decolonization of critical and creative discourses
- ENG 112: College Comp
- HON 112: Border Crossings: Migrations & Moving Images, Story & History, Fiction & Documentary
- ENL 165: Underground Conciousness
- ENG 223: Modern World Literature
- ENG 243: Immigration in World Fiction, Film, & Art
- ENG 303: Intro. to Literary Analysis: Language, Landscape, Longing & Lies in modern Literature
- ENG 314: Modern European Literature: Executions, Authorship & Authority
- ENG 317: Slavic Literature: Wit & Witness in Modern Russian & East European Literature
- ENG 319: Comparative Literature: Crossings
- ENG 351: Urban Contexts & Urbane Consciousness in Modern Fiction & Film
- ENG 363: Writing in Exile: Transposition, Translation, Translingualism & the Tasks of Literature
- ENG364: Vision & Revision: (Post)Modernisms
- ENG367/WMS367: Women in World Literature, Film, & Art: Reconfigurations of Cultural Memory
- ENG 409: Postmodernism in World Literature: Theory of the Novel & the Novel’s Play with Theory
- ENG/WMS42/542: Sex & the City: Contemporary Women Writers & Cosmopolitanism
- ENG/WMS442/542: Women & Memoir: Re-membering (his)story in Art & Literature
- ENL 448/548/ENG605: Idiots, Fools & Madmen: Dialogues with Dostoevsky in Fiction & Film
- FLM458/558: Contemporary Global Film: Cinema, Self-Consciousness, & Cultural Memory
- ENL/FLM 463/563: International Film: (Re)Visionary Soviet & Post-Soviet Filmmakers
- ENG 472: Senior Seminar in Contemporary European Literature: Re-mapping Cultural Memory
- ENL472/572: Critical Approaches, Intro to Literary Theory
- ENL 478/578: Critical Approaches
- ENG 604: World Modernisms
- ENG 625: Tolstoy & Dostoevsky: Ethics & Aesthetics
Books & Interdisciplinary Projects in Progress:
- New Navigators: Remapping & Recasting Portuguese Cultural Memory – (Re)Visionary Lusophone Writers & Artists (comparative monograph on contemporary literature & art developing out of recent presentations, publications, research fellowships)
- Migrations or Pescadores/Pecadores: Dialogues with Contemporary Lusophone Literature & Art (interdisciplinary project including sketches and sculpture, documentary photography, and essays)
- Paris Palimpsest: “Reading between Lines of Astonished Memory,” Writing on the Walls & the Execution of the Writer. (scholarly monograph in advanced stages of development, including maps, manuscript pages & illustrations)
- Professor of Comparative Literature, SUNY Brockport, 2019-present; Associate Professor, 2011-2019; Assistant Professor, 2005-2011.
- Fulbright Fellow, Programa em Teoria da Literatura & Departamento de Estudos Anglísticos, Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal, 2009-2010.
- Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow, Humanities Forum, University of Pennsylvania, 2004–2005.
- Lecturer/AI, Departments of Comparative Literature, Humanities, Romance Languages and Literature, Slavic Languages & Literature, Visual Arts, & Princeton Writing Program, Princeton University, 1999-2004.
- Lecturer, Portuguese & Brazilian Literature, Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Literatures, Rutgers University, Newark, 2003.
- Director of Graduate Studies, English Department, SUNY-Brockport, 2023-2025.
- English Department APT Committee, SUNY-Brockport, 2019-2020. Chair, 2020-2021.
- English Ad Hoc Committee on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, 2020-2021. Chair 2021-2022.
- Interim Director of Film Studies, English Department, SUNY-Brockport, 2019.
- English Department Curriculum Committee, SUNY-Brockport, 2006–2009, 2010-2011, 2013-2018; Chair 2013-2015, 2016-2018, 2022-2024.
- English Department Executive Committee, SUNY-Brockport, 2013-2015, 2016-2024.
- University Shared Governance Committee, 2017-2019, 2020-2024.
- College Senate President, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2016-2017.
- College Senate Executive Committee, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2015-2018.
- President’s Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2015-2018.
- Provost Search Committee, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2017-2018.
- College Council, 2016-2017.
- Brockport Foundation Board, 2016-2017.
- President’s Extended Cabinet, 2016-2017.
- President’s Strategic Planning Committee, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2015-2017.
- Strategic Planning Community Subcommittee, Co-chair, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2016-2017.
- President’s Budget & Resource Committee, 2016-2017.
- Provost’s Senior Advisory Group, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2016-2021.
- Academic Convocation Committee, SUNY-College at Brockport, 2013-2015.
- Women and Gender Studies Advisory Board, SUNY-Brockport, 2008-2024.
- Women and Gender Studies APT Committee, 2019-2024.
- Visual Studies Workshop, Guest Reviewer, 2018, 2020.
- Ad-hoc Modern Languages and Cultures APT Review committees, 2010-2017.
- Faculty Learning Community on Integrative Learning & Global Perspectives, 2013-2014
- Suny Teacher Education Network (S-TEN/C-TEN), 2013-2014.
- International Association of Slavists (IAS), member of the Commission for Iberian-Slavonic Comparative Research, 2010-2018.
- Centro de Literaturas e Culturas Lusófonas e Europeias (CLEPUL), Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa, research affiliate, 2010-2018.
- External Reviewer for dissertations in comparative literature, University of Lisbon.
- Peer Reviewer for various journals of comparative literature.
- Native Portuguese & English
- Professional fluency in French & Russian
- Reading proficiency in Spanish
Drawings (oil, watercolor, pencil, charcoal), sculpture (bronze cast & multimedia), photography. www.lubkemannallen.net