Nandini Kar, Ph.D
Office: Lennon Hall 325
- PhD, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Rochester
- MSc, Department of Geology, Presidency College (Kolkata, India)
- BSc, Department of Geology, Presidency College (Kolkata, India)
- GEL 201: Intro Physical Geology
- GEL 302: Historical Geology
- GEL 305: Paleoenvironments
- ESC 313: Environmental Climatology
- ESC 362: Global Warming
My research focuses on reconstruction of paleoclimate and paleoenvironment through use of the stable isotopes of oxygen, carbon and hydrogen preserved in sediment record. I am interested in both small scale regional paleoclimate studies to larger scale climate changes driven by tectonic events. I am particularly interested in evolution of mountain belts and depositional history of sedimentary basins that form within or at periphery of large mountain belts. Apart from climate proxies, I use field based sedimentary and stratigraphic investigation to answer questions ranging from depositional history to basin evolution. Working in these projects will provide both valuable field and lab experiences to students. Please get in touch if you are interested in working with me.
- Garzione, C.N., McQuarrie, N, Perez, N.D., Ehlers, T.A, Beck, S. L., Kar, N, Eichelberger N, Chapman, A.D, Ward, K.M., Ducea, M.N., Lease R.O, Pulsen, C.J., Wagner, LS., Horton, B.K, Saylor, J.E, Zandt, G. (2017). The Tectonic Evolution of the Central Andean Plateau and Geodynamic Implications of the Growth of Plateaus. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences, 45.
- Taral, S., Kar, N., and Chakraborty, T. (2017). Wave-generated structures in the Siwalik rocks of Tista valley, eastern Himalaya: implication for the regional paleogeography. Current Science
Kar, N., Garzione, C. N., Shanahan, T., Carlotto, V., Jaramillo, C., Pullen, A., Moreno, F., Anderson, V., and Eiler, J. (2016). Rapid regional surface uplift of the northern Altiplano plateau revealed by multiproxy paleoclimate reconstruction. Rapid regional surface uplift of the northern Altiplano plateau revealed by multiproxy paleoclimate reconstruction. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 447, 33-47. Velez, M.I., Jaramillo, C., Salazar, A.F., Benito, X., Fritz, S., Tapia, P., Lubiniecki, D., Kar, N., Escober, J. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology.
Kar, N., Carlotto, V., Garzione, C. N., and Smith, S. Foreland basin evolution of the north-central Andes and stable isotope constraints on the magnitude of surface uplift of the proto-Andean Plateau, Peru. Tectonics (In Review).
Kar, N., Garzione, C.N., Carlotto, V., Moreno, F., Jaramillo, C., and Pullen, A., Evolution of the Descanso-Yauri basin in the northernmost Altiplano plateau: Implications of lithospheric removal. (in preperation)