Carly Reed, Ph.D
Office: Smith Hall 231
Chemistry Advisement Coordinator
- PhD, The Ohio State University
CHM 205: College Chemistry I Lecture and Lab
CHM 206: College Chemistry I Lecture and Lab
CHM 302: Inorganic Chemistry I Lecture and Lab
CHM 313: Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
CHM 431: Inorganic Chemistry II Lecture
CHM 432: Advanced Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory
Dr. Reed’s research currently focuses on synthesizing a library of iridium(III) complexes to be tested for their selective binding to G-quadruplex DNA. These luminescent compounds can then act as label-free switch-on fluorescent detecting sensors for important analytes such as metal ions and small molecules.
- Assessing Technology’s Impact on General Chemistry Student Engagement During Covid-19. Robert J. LeSuer and Carly R. Reed. J Chem Ed. 2022, 99, 11, 3687.
- Synthesis, crystal structure, electrochemical properties, and photophysical characterization of ruthenium(II) 4,4′-dimethoxy-2,2′-bipyridine polypyridine complexes. Santos, D.A.; Vu, A.T.; Brennessel, W.W.; Carly R. Reed; Garner, R.N. J.Coord. Chem. 2022, https://doi.org/10.1080/00958972.2022.2066531.
- (4-Aminopyridine-K N1)(2,2’-bipyridine-K2 N,N’)- (2,2’:6’,2’’-terpyridine- K3 N,N’,N’’)ruthenium(II) bis(hexafluoridophosphate) unknown solvate. Carly R. Reed; Garner, R.N.; Brennesel, W.W. IUCrData 2021, 6, https://doi.org/10.1107/S241431462100287X.
- Microwave Assisted Surfactant-Thermal Synthesis of Metal-Organic Frameworks. Forsyth, C.; Taras, T.; Johnson, A.; Zagari, J.; Collado, C.; Hoffmann, M.M.; Carly R. Reed. Appl. Sci. 2020, 10 (13), 4563.
- Photoinitiated treatment of Mycobacterium using Ru(II) isoniazid complexes. Garner, R.N.; Pierce, C.G.; Carly R. Reed; Brennessel, W.W. Inorg. Chim. Acta. 2017, 461, 261.
- The crystal structures of tetrakis(μ-n-butyrato-κ2O:O’)bis[bromidorhenium(III)] and tetrakis(μ-n-butyrato-κ2O:O’)bis[chloridorhenium(III)] acetonitrile disolvate. Carly R. Reed and William W. Brennesel. Acta. Cryst. E. 2015, E71, 1480-1484.
- Microwave synthesis of dirhenium paddlewheel complexes. Carly R. Reed; Feeney, C.; Merritt, M.A. J. Coord. Chem. 2015, 68, 3449.
- Invited Panelist: Women Chemists Committee Luncheon at NERM 2022, Work Life Balance.
- Talk: Carly R. Reed, Marcy A. Merritt, Callen Feeney, and William Brennessel, “Inorganic Microwave Synthesis: From Quadruple Bonds to Metal-Organic Frameworks,” invited seminar at SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY, December 1, 2017.
- Poster: Carly R. Reed, Samantha Klietz, Whitman Oehler-Marx, Marcy A. Merritt, Callen Feeney, William Brennessel, “Inorganic Microwave Synthesis: From Quadruple Bonds to Metal-Organic Frameworks,” 2017 Mid Atlantic Regional ACS Meeting, Hershey, PA, June 6, 2017.
- Talk: Carly R. Reed, Marcy A. Merritt, Callen Feeney, and William Brennessel, “Inorganic Synthesis of Coordination Compounds: From Quadruple Bonds to Metal-Organic Frameworks,” invited seminar at Monroe Community College, Rochester, NY, February 7, 2017.
Rochester ACS Undergraduate Travel Awards Committee Member 2022
Rochester Women Chemists Committee Member 2021-2022
ACS Project SEED 2018 Summer I Faculty Mentor 2018
National Conference of Undergraduate Research Co-Advisor 2014 and 2017
Argonne National Lab REU Faculty Liason 2013-2016