This is the first of what I expect will be a regular newsletter to our new Division of Advancement & Communications. I also will be sharing pieces of it with our volunteer boards: the Brockport Foundation, Alumni Association, and College Council.
Today is the first day of our new Division. Welcome! I am excited to be a part of the Division of A&C and I look forward to working with everyone on a number of projects as we move SUNY Brockport forward. Always feel welcome to pop in to my office or drop me a call, email, text, note, or Teams video.
I’ve attached two documents that will be current as of July 8: the new Divisional organizational chart and our phone directory. If you see any mistakes or have questions on anything, let Amy or me know and we’ll fix whatever it is.
While most of us know each other, I want to introduce two new staff members who will be joining us July 7. Danique Shallow is coming over from BASC where she worked in the Office of Conference & Events. She will be taking on the new role of Manager of College Events for the institution. Danique just completed her master’s degree at Brockport – she also has her bachelor’s from here – and is excited to be joining us. She will supervise another new staff member and recent Brockport master’s graduate, Dan Lynd, who will be the Coordinator of College Events. Dan also is an assistant men’s soccer coach at the College. They will form a dynamic duo and will be located on the 3rd floor of Allen.
This past week was one of numerous conversations and meetings as we put our new area together. I want to thank the leadership team for working together on some important initiatives that will be Division-wide, including “Team Days.”
- Starting in September, we will be instituting a “Team Day” once a month. Everyone in the Division is expected to be on campus on these days when we will hold in-person meetings and will have team-building and fun activities, too.
- Each month on our Team Day we will celebrate the birthdays of those who were born that month, while doing some other fun activities that the directors are putting together. I know they will be looking for creative ideas.
- The Team Days for 2022-23 are as follows; please get them on your calendars: Sept 20, Oct. 4, Nov. 1, Dec. 13, Jan. 19, Feb. 7, Mar. 7, Apr. 4, May 2, June 7. The December day also will be our Divisional Holiday Party. The January and June dates have already been placed on your calendars as all-Division meetings/retreats.
A few more things:
- The fiscal year for the College and the Brockport Foundation ended yesterday, and the Foundation surpassed its fundraising target by more than $500,000. We also surpassed last year’s final giving total. Congratulations to all!
- Next week is the last one on campus for Meghan Finnerty from our College Communications team. We wish Meghan all the best as she heads to Arizona State University for a great career opportunity.
- Our College Events team will be busy this month as the Empire Girls State group, Upward Bound, and other programs get moving. And Danique and Dan need to move into their offices, too!
- Happy birthday this month to Michele (the 13th), Zach (also the 13th), Adam (the 26th), and me (the 4th).
Enjoy the holiday weekend and be safe if you are traveling!
(Thanks to Brian Robbins for the new divisional logo!)