The Student Employment Office makes the student hiring process easy.
If you are a new on-campus employer or would like a quick refresher, attend the “Student Employment 101” training course offered through the Department of Career Services.
We are always available to answer your questions or guide you through the employment process.
The Supervisor Manual should be the supervisor’s first stop for best practices and guidelines on student employment. Refer to the sections below for frequently asked topics. Click here for a downloadable version.
Handshake for On Campus Supervisors
The student employee must have been registered full-time the previous semester AND registered for at least three credits for the summer or fall sessions.
- Check if someone in your department or division already serves as the student employment contact. In many cases, professors or other new supervisors will find a coordinator in their department who can assist with the Student Employment Process.
- Post a position in Handshake or refer to previous job postings to get the job referral number.
- Submit the Referral for Hire/Wage Increase . Submit one student per referral.
- Students who have never worked for SUNY Brockport must complete the required paperwork (link to forms pg 3).
- Referral for Hire/Wage Increase
- Student Appraisal Form
- Notify Payroll of Work-Study to Temp-Services
This is important to keep updated for payroll purposes.
Step 1: Send a list to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the following information:
- Student Name
- Work Study/Temp Services
- Old Supervisors name
- New Supervisors Name
Step 2: Payroll and Student Employment will send you an email once the change has been made.
Student Hire Forms
Students MUST complete all paperwork to begin working. Once complete, students will receive a green slip from student employment. This is a supervisor’s indication that a student may start working.
Appraisal Forms (add links)
- Student Appraisal Form
- Student Employee Appraisal Checklist
SUNY Brockport strives to maintain a healthy work environment for all employees’ physical and mental well-being.
Please refer to the College’s Statement of Non-Discrimination for full disclosure of your protections as a student employee. Another helpful resource is the Human Resources Home Page.
If you feel you have been a victim of discrimination as a student employee at the College,
We recommend that you report the incident to one of the following college officials:
- Bias Related Incident Reporting Form
- Your work site supervisor if you feel comfortable discussing the incident with your supervisor.
- Student Employment can be reached at (585) 395-2159 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Human Resources at (585) 395-2126
Wage Information (WS, TS)
Minimum wage in New York State is $14.20 effective December 22, 2022.
SUNY Time and Attendance
The following training resources should be used by faculty, staff & students to assist in understanding and utilizing the online time and attendance system.
For additional information on the SUNY Self-Service Portal please use the following links:
- New York State Payroll Online Self Service
- Self Service and Notification Function
- View and Update Personal Information Guide
If you require additional assistance, contact the Payroll Office at (585) 395-2126.