Students on campus in the spring

Resident Assistants are selected on the basis of leadership potential, experience, and the ability and desire to assist students, in maximizing their experiences in the Residence Halls.

Apply to be a Resident Assistant

RAs assist students through personal contact, referral to appropriate campus services, and providing co-curricular engagement to encourage community development. A vital part of the RA position is to fulfill multiple roles, including as representatives, liaisons, and role models representing the Division of Enrollment Management/Student Affairs and Residential Life/Learning Communities.


  • Must be a full-time matriculated undergraduate with 12-18 credits per semester at the time of appointment.
  • Must have an overall GPA of 2.5 for your Brockport Institutional credits at the time of appointment. Transfer credits WILL NOT be taken into account.
  • Must have a minimum of one semester as an enrolled student at SUNY Brockport at the time of appointment.
  • Must be in good disciplinary (student conduct) standing at SUNY Brockport at time of appointment.
  • Must be 18 years of age or older at the time of appointment.
  • Recommended to have one semester of on-campus living.

Resident Assistant Job Descriptions


  • Must be able to hold the position for at least two consecutive semesters.
  • Must complete within first year (highly preferred to complete first semester) as a Resident Assistant with a grade of C or better:
    EDC 302 Achieving Helping Relationships in the College Residence Halls.
  • Cannot student teach, participate in an internship, or perform a field experience that requires more than 15 hours weekly, while holding a student staff position.
  • May not hold a position of outside employment without prior written approval from your Resident Director.

Remuneration* (Subject to Change)

  • Full room waiver
  • Partial board waiver
    • This will be determined based on the student population you work with.

* For those applicants receiving financial aid, please check with the Financial Aid Office to see how this position may affect your financial aid.