Small amounts of mildew growth (up to about 10 square feet) in a bathroom can often be fixed by yourself, and maintained by ensuring that all surfaces are being cleaned on a regular basis. Please use the following process to clean these:

  • Cleaning your personal spaces routinely
  • Cleaning with bleach, detergent and warm water
  • Wipe down shower and bathroom spaces daily

If you are seeing mildew issues in areas outside of a bathroom, please call the Facilities Maintenance and Operations number at (585)395-2408

If you are seeing persistent issues in a bathroom, that you can not remedy yourself, please use the following process:

  1. Submit a facilities service request indicating the presence of mildew. If you have photos, please also submit those along with the service request. Please also explain cleaning that you have completed to remedy the issue to date.
  2. Facilities Maintenance and Operations will be in contact within 1 business day (business days are Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm, excluding holidays) of you completing a facilities request to schedule a visual inspection of your living space. A visual inspection can include, but is not limited to:

    An inspection of:
      1. Bathroom ventilation
      2. Plumbing fixtures
      3. Wall surfaces, grout lines and tile
  3. During the visual inspection, at least one resident of the living space must be present to answer questions related to the area of concern, cleaning practices to date and any cleaning materials used so far. Facilities Maintenance and Operations will also discuss best practices related to cleaning and maintaining areas of concern.

  4. If at any time, any facility issues are detected, that impact the residential experience, Facilities Maintenance and Operations will work with The Office Residential Life/Learning Communities on supporting the impacted students.

  5. Facilities Maintenance and Operations will then schedule a cleaning or maintenance of the areas of concern and follow up with residents in the space as needed.

If at anytime, students are feeling ill, they should contact The Hazen Center for Integrated Care.

Your RD or TC is here to help you, please contact them if you have any questions or concerns.

New York State Department of Health: “Mold and Your Home: What you need to know”

Mold FAQ