What kinds of concerns are brought to the Center?

The counseling staff helps students to deal with a wide range of personal issues. Common concerns brought to the Counseling Center include:

  • Depression
  • Stress
  • Anxiety
  • Romantic relationship concerns
  • History of trauma
  • Family issues
  • Academic performance issues
  • Body image concerns
  • Career indecision
  • Problems with friends
  • Eating disorders
  • Concerns about sexual orientation
  • Adjustment to college

What happens during Intake Assessment?

The purpose of the first meeting with a counselor at the Center (the intake interview), is to talk together, determine what is concerning you, and mutually agree upon a plan of action. Most of the time, your problems will be addressed through individual counseling, but couples counseling and/or group counseling are also possibilities. Not every concern is best helped by the Center. When other kinds of help are called for, the Counseling Center will assist you in arranging for those services, whether they are on or off campus.

How confidential are these services?

All clinical services offered by Counseling Center are confidential. This means that information about you will not be released to anyone without your written permission except in limited circumstances:

  • In cases of clear danger to self or other. In either situation, the counselor must take reasonable personal action to insure safety and survival of both the student and/or any people who may be threatened by the student
  • Where child abuse is suspected
  • When a court subpoenas clinical information

We do sometimes consult with other members of the staff in order to find ways to more effectively help you. Please note that all staff operates under the same rules of confidentiality. In the event of any breech of confidence, you will be informed it has occurred as soon as is practicable and the rationale for it.

Who do I talk to about bringing my service or assistance animal to campus?

SUNY Brockport, Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities (ORL/LC) recognizes the importance of “Service Animals” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as well as the broader category of “Assistance Animals” under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), that provide physical and/or emotional support to individuals with disabilities.

“ORL/LC is committed to allowing individuals with disabilities the use of a Service Animal and/or an Assistance Animal in the approved individual’s residence hall room, apartment, bed space, and associated common areas, so that they have an equal opportunity to use and enjoy College housing.” This Policy explains the specific requirements applicable to an individual’s use of an assistance animal in College housing. ORL/LC reserves the right to amend this Policy as circumstances require.

The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities can be reached at 585-395-2122.

Who are the counselors?

Counselors in the Center have advanced training in such fields as counselor education, social work, and substance abuse. While each staff member has particular areas of interest and expertise, all are experienced professional counselors who are prepared to help you in dealing with a wide range of concerns.

The Counseling Center also serves as a training site for various graduate programs, so you may also have an advanced trainee assisting you in resolving your concerns. These advanced students practice under the direct supervision of an experienced mental health professional, so you can be certain that you will receive excellent care.

How are appointments made?

Appointments can be made by calling the Center, located in Hazen hall. We will ask you to fill out some paperwork so that you can be matched with the counselor best suited to meet your needs. While faculty and staff members occasionally recommend the Center to students, no referral is necessary. In a crisis situation, an individual may be seen by the on-call counselor for that day.

What kinds of groups and workshops are offered by the Center?

The center routinely offers various groups and workshops designed to meet the diverse needs of our students. Students who would like a particular group or workshop offered are encouraged to call the Counseling Center and make their interest known to us.

What other special services are provided by the Center?

Counselors in the Center are available for consulting with students, faculty, and staff. These consultations may focus on such areas as crisis management, problems in group dynamics and interpersonal communications, or other issues affecting the campus environment. The counseling staff is also available to provide training in a variety of areas to students, faculty, and staff. If you are interested in this service, please give us a call at 585-395-2414.