Guidelines to Complete Your Baccalaureate Degree

Transfer Policies Transfer Checklist Advanced Placement Equivalences

If you are currently attending a two-year institution, we strongly recommend that you finish your Associates Degree: Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), Associate of Applied Science (AAS), or Associate of Applied Arts (AAA).




  • An earned Associates degree will guarantee you full junior status with a minimum of 60 and a maximum of 64 transfer credits and will also complete or almost complete the SUNY General Education Program with the required categories and number of credits.
  • For students transferring from another SUNY institution (two- or four-year), selecting courses at that SUNY institution that will fulfill the SUNY General Education Knowledge and Skills areas will maximize the usefulness and flexibility of those credits.
  • If you are transferring from a non-SUNY institution, many of those introductory courses will also fulfill the SUNY General Education Categories. You will want to check with the Office of Academic Advisement concerning those courses.
  • Depending on your intended major here at Brockport, you will also want to begin completing prerequisite courses at your transfer institution as part of your Associates degree. This will allow you to enter into your major in a more timely and efficient manner.

General Education Requirement

All students are required to complete SUNY Brockport’s General Education Program which incorporates changes mandated by the SUNY Board of Trustees and SUNY System Administration implemented for fall 2011, in addition to Brockport’s local requirements and competency examinations as appropriate.

Each SUNY institution has identified courses that have been approved by SUNY to fill the SUNY knowledge and skills areas (the “SUNY 10”: Mathematics, Basic Communication [both Written and Oral Communication], Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, American History, Western Civilization, Other World Civilizations, Humanities, the Fine Arts, and Foreign Language).

Full list of courses that fill these requirements