Credit for Prior Learning at SUNY Brockport

Credit awarded in recognition of prior learning is in all cases treated as transfer credit. SUNY Brockport recognizes three sources for obtaining college credit for prior learning:

  • Credit by Examination
  • Armed Forces Experience
  • Educational Experience in Non-Collegiate Organizations

Credit By Examination

There are three kinds of exams that qualify:


Examinations are given in English composition, the Humanities, mathematics, natural sciences, and social sciences/history, all intended to cover material included in college introductory courses. CLEP also has examinations in specific subject areas. Both the general and some specific courses can earn you as much as six college credits, depending on how well you perform.

Learn more about CLEP Exams


There are examinations in a number of subject areas, ranging from liberal arts and science courses to criminal justice. Free study aids and application forms can be obtained from:

Regents College Examination
Cultural Education Center
Albany, NY 12230.


Many academic departments at SUNY Brockport offer challenge exams (or credit by examination) – for matriculated students only – for courses regularly offered. Such exams are given for courses offered in foreign languages, nursing, health sciences, and the natural sciences. Credit earned in this way is recorded on your permanent transcript as “credit by examination,” but grades are not entered, so there is no effect on your cumulative index. Departmental examinations require a $295 fee, payable to the Bursar before the examination is taken. You can contact the relevant department or Academic Advisement for further information.

Educational Experience in the Armed Forces

If you have served in the armed forces, you may qualify for credit for your training, including Military Occupational Status (MOS), Navy ratings, and many advanced training programs. Courses completed under Defense Activity for NonTraditional Education Support (DANTES) may also qualify for college credit.

Educational Experience in Non-Collegiate Organizations

You could be eligible for college credit for training by organizations which have a primary function other than education, including business and industry, labor unions, professional and voluntary associations, government agencies and others. For further information on obtaining college credit by exam, or credit from the armed forces and non-collegiate organizations, contact Transfer Credit Services.

Important Notes on Credit for Prior Learning

  • Credit granted for this kind of experiential learning is only for matriculated (formally admitted) students.
  • The process of obtaining this credit should be initiated only after you have been advised by Transfer Credit Services.
  • These departments will tell you if academic credit is likely to be granted for your particular experiences.
  • Finally, SUNY Brockport cannot guarantee that credit offered for prior learning will be acceptable to other colleges or universities, if you should transfer elsewhere.


Please contact Transfer Credit Services with questions or for additional information at:

Phone: (585 )395-2312