Undergraduate Social Work’s New Online Distance Degree Completion Program is starting Fall 2023.
Our online degree completion program offers flexibility and accessibility for students who want an undergraduate degree in Social Work without having to relocate. The 42- credit program is for students who are transferring to SUNY Brockport with an Associate Degree or at least 64 transferrable college credits.
To be considered for Admission, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have an Associate’s Degree or at least 64 transferrable credits
Have completed the program’s prerequisite courses or the equivalent with a C or higher [PSH 110 (Intro to Psychology), SOC 100 (Intro to Sociology), and BIO 221 or 281 (Human Biology)]
- Out of state courses used to meet the prerequisites may need to be evaluated by the appropriate department upon admissions (contact us for more information on this process)
- Have a 2.5 GPA or higher
Students accepted to the University and program will need to complete 56 credits at a four-year college in addition to the credits that they transfer. Students need a total of 120 credits to graduate with a degree from SUNY Brockport. Please note this program is not open to current SUNY Brockport Students.
This online distance degree completion program requires field placements be completed at a location near you. Students applying for the degree completion program will be responsible for identifying the agency and the supervisor within the agency where they plan to complete at least a 400 hours of field work, as long as the student is not living in the Rochester area.
Field Placement Process
- Accepted students, outside the Rochester area, will need to provide the under graduate social work program with the contact information for the agency and possible supervisor for their field placement.
- Applicants must have a field plan at the time they submit their application.
Applicants must have contacted the agency and spoken with the supervisor prior to sending the Field Coordinator this information. (Again, this applies to students living outside the Rochester area). Additionally, supervisors must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work from a CSWE accredited program and two years of post-graduation experience. Degrees in other disciplines cannot be substituted).
Field Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Contact agency, review requirements, and ensure they are willing and able to provide the student with a qualified field instructor (internship supervisor) and a learning experience that meets the undergraduate requirement.
- Explain the responsibilities and expectations of the agency, internship supervisor, the student, and the University.
- Establish an affiliation contract with the agency per SUNY requirements.
For more information please contact the Undergraduate Program secretary at (585) 395–2324.