Awards Available to Senior Nursing Students
All senior nursing students (RN to BSN students, traditional students, and accelerated students) will receive a form to complete should the student wish to be considered for an award. The form and due dates will be supplied to the students by the senior level coordinator. Senior faculty will select those to be awarded with input from all nursing faculty.
Academic Scholar of the Department of Nursing
- The student with the highest cumulative GPA for seven consecutive semesters at SUNY Brockport
- The student must have exhibited excellent performance in the clinical setting for three semesters
- This award is open to traditional students only
ANA-New York Future Leader Award
Graduating senior from an undergraduate nursing program who:
- Demonstrates leadership:
- Prepares, motivates, and impacts other students as leaders
- Participates in community activities and gives back to others
- Mentors fellow students
- Promotes activity in nursing organizations
- Creates opportunities for engagement and involvement
- Makes a significant contribution to the overall excellence of the school
- Sets a healthy example and promotes a healthy lifestyle
- Creates a positive working environment
- Embodies the ethics and values of nursing
- Demonstrates a clear sense of the direction for his/her nursing career
Chancellors’ Award for Student Excellence
- Graduating seniors with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.75
- Academic Achievement
- Record of extra-curricular activities and other contributions to the University and community.
- Evidence of Professional Promise
Clinical Recognition Award
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and collaboration skills
- Excellence in the clinical setting
- Demonstrates initiative to improve client care
Genesee Valley Nurses Association Nursing Student Leadership Award
- “For demonstrating outstanding leadership and professionalism during the nursing education process by maintaining membership in a student nurses organization, participating in activities that foster a positive public image of nursing, participating in activities that foster high quality health care to consumers, and by engaging in volunteer activities of community service or support of non-profit health care organizations.”
- To be eligible, the individual must not yet be a registered professional nurse and must be enrolled in a collegiate nursing program leading to RN licensure.
Marion Schrank Adult Student Leadership Award
- Undergraduate student with a minimum of 2.50 cumulative grade point average.
- 54 completed credit hours at the end of fall semester.
- Record of exemplary leadership, scholastic achievement and commitment to the University through leadership in an organization and/or campus employment.
The student is currently serving in an elected or appointed position (s) of leadership in a SUNY Brockport recognized club, organization or a campus-wide committee. In the position the student must have:
- excelled in the normal responsibilities as defined for the position(s) held or
- shown extraordinary leadership, beyond the normal responsibilities defined for the positions held.
- been a leader of students involved in campus-related services or activities (other than those listed above), which have been of significant benefit to the University and/or Brockport community.
Nursing Recognition Award
- The student’s work in the clinical setting must be excellent.
- The student must be an active contributor to both departmental and professional activities
- The student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- This award is open to both RN and traditional students.
Research Recognition Award
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above
- Clinical excellence
- Active participation in research and its application to practice
Outstanding Adult Student Award
- Award is presented to three adult students from the Rochester Area Colleges
- Continuing Education Committee who have been especially successful at combining college studies with their other responsibilities.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
Patricia Sharkey Award for Excellence in Effective Communication
- Student must demonstrate excellence in effective communication with patients in the clinical setting as witnessed by clinical instructors/faculty.
- Student must demonstrate the ability to foster successful nurse-patient interactions in the clinical setting as witnessed by clinical instructors/faculty and/or patients.
- Student will be nominated by level 3 faculty members.
School of Education, Health and Human Services Undergraduate Student Award
- Student must be senior (84 credits completed at start of spring semester)
- Have a minimum cumulative Brockport GPA of 3.5
- Demonstrate a strong applied/performance element in their accomplishments (e.g., University community-based activities which may or may not relate to the field of study, athletic participation, service to the University, etc.
- Demonstrate a significant service element (related directly to the department or program)
- Must have completed at least two semesters of full-time study at Brockport prior to spring semester and must be a full-time student in spring; or if the student is part-time in spring semester, they must have completed at least three semesters of full-time study at Brockport prior to spring semester.