students playing soccer

Student Support Services

International Student Services

The Center for Global Education and Engagement is in charge of all the international procedures. We have international student advisors who can help advise you on academic resources, on-campus employment procedures, post-graduate employment procedures and more.

Schedule an appointment

Academic Support Services

At the University, there are a variety of academic services which are available to help you succeed such as Academic Advisement, Student Learning Center, Educational Opportunity Program and more.

Assistive Technology

Brockport offers a variety of assistive technology that can help with everything from time management to note-taking. Software for translating text books into many languages is also available.

Conversation Partners

This program allows you to meet weekly with a native English speaker so you can continue to strengthen your conversational skills and even just meet new people!

Counseling Services

At the University there are a variety of counseling services available along with different types of counseling (individual, group, and couples counseling) at the counseling center located in the Hazen Health Center.

Health Care Services

SUNY Brockport’s Student Health Center provides medical care and educational programming to all registered students of SUNY Brockport. Visits are free for students who have paid the mandatory student health fee (which is separate from insurance). The center is regularly staffed by registered nurses and nurse practitioners, and their medical services include:

  • Physicals
  • Immunizations
  • Treatment of Illnesses and Infections
  • Over-the-counter remedies

The Student Health Center is open 8 am - 4:45 pm Monday through Friday and 10 am - 2 pm on Saturdays during the academic year (Summer hours vary). Appointments are strongly encouraged, but walk-in appointments are available between 8 am - 11am.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

You need a Social Security number to work in the United States, even on campus.

The Social Security Administrationwill only assign Social Security numbers to students with documentation certifying that they have an on-campus job or are authorized to work under one of the approved categories.

You will need to bring the following documentation with you to the Social Security Administration to apply:

  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94 Retrieval Number – You can obtain your most recent I-94 number on the The Department of Homeland Security’s website (Canadian citizens that have entered the U.S. at a land border will not have an I-94 number).
  • SSN application form

You will also need one of the following:

  • Job offer letter on department letterhead and a letter from the ISS office.
  • Job offer letter on company letterhead and CPT authorization on your I-20 form (for F-1 student internships). Must include the dates of your employment
  • Valid employment authorization card for F-1 Optional Practical Training or F-1 Economic Hardship
  • Job offer letter on company letterhead; AT or Economic Hardship authorization on your DS-2019 form and ISS certification letter (J-1 only)

Once you have the necessary documents, you will submit your application to the Social Security Administration office. There is no fee to apply.

The closest Social Security Administration office to the University campus is located at: 4050 W. Ridge Rd. (2nd Floor), Rochester, NY 14626 (This location is close to the Greece Ridge Shopping Mall).

Getting Your Drivers License

The NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides eligible persons in New York State with the documents necessary to drive a car in New York State.

International students are allowed to drive in New York State using their home country driver’s license and an International Driving Permit, if the home country license is not in English. Students may also wish to apply at the NYS DMV for a NYS Learner’s Permit or a NYS Driver’s License.

To apply, you need to bring the following documents with you to the NYS DMV:

  • A Letter of Certification prepared for you by the International Student Services Office. This letter will confirm your valid visa status and enrollment in full-time study at SUNY-Brockport.
  • Your immigration documents , I-20 (you will need the document with the most recent entry stamp; if you have a document issued after your most recent entry, you will need both documents), visa, passport, and I-94.
    • Please note: At the time of your application, your I-20 must be issued for a minimum of one academic year, and six months must remain before the program completion date. Your name must be presented in the same way on all of your identifying documents. The name must match on your immigration papers, Social Security card, and other documents.
  • U.S. Social Security card. If you do not have a US Social Security Number, you must:
    • Request a letter from ISS stating that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number
    • Take the letter to the Social Security Administration (SSA).
    • The SSA will print a second letter saying that you are ineligible for a Social Security Number
    • Take this letter to the DMV with the other documents listed above.
  • Additional proof of identity to meet the 6 points of identity required by NYS DMV (see the acceptable proofs of identity).
  • NYS DMV application for the NYS Learner’s Permit or NYS Driver’s License.
  • Pay the required fees.
  • If you have applied for OPT, you need to have received your EAD card to apply for a new driver’s license. Your OPT I-20 must also have a minimum of 6 months left before the end of your OPT authorization.

For more information about the process, visit the New York State DMV website.

Department of Motor Vehicle’s Office (DMV)

All persons in F visa status who want to apply for a permit or a license must go to one of the NYS DMV offices in the Greater Rochester Area. The nearest one to the Brockport main campus is located in Greece. Office hours may change, so be sure to check for the hours during the week you plan to visit the office by calling (585) 753-1604.

It is against the law to drive a motor vehicle that is not registered or not covered by auto insurance. The NYS DMV has the legal authority to seize your vehicle and impound it (keep it). You will be ticketed for a violation of the law and you may be fined.