Brockport’s General Education Program (GEP) is designed to help students become more successful in their majors, careers, and communities. GEP courses focus on providing foundations for a life-time of learning and personal growth.
Ready for a Changing Economy
The economy of the 21st century demands life-long learning. Brockport’s General Education Program emphasizes the knowledge and abilities to thrive in this environment.
- Hone the ability to do critical and creative thinking.
- Enhance communication, information literacy, and quantitative skills.
- Practice alternative modes of inquiry and expression.
- Cultivate a broad knowledge base for future learning.
- Integrate learning to solve complex problems.
Engaged in the World
More interconnected than ever, our world faces a wide range of challenges and opportunities. The General Education Program encourages students to engage problems and work with others to solve them.
- Reflect on one’s place in the world and on our responsibilities to others.
- Evaluate evidence and reach informed positions on the issues you care about.
- Appreciate the richness of human diversity, creativity, and cultural difference.
- Explore ethical issues and weigh alternative perspectives.
- Learn about how people make a difference in the lives of others.
Confident in Yourself
To face this rapidly changing world, the General Education Program focuses on self-discovery to help students chart their own course.
- Discover abilities, passions, strengths, and potential for growth.
- Find your voice and express yourself with confidence.
- Identify opportunities to grow as a person and take calculated risks.
- Take ownership of your learning to realize your own goals.