Brockport Teacher Opportunity Corps II
The Brockport Teacher Opportunity Corps II offers support for 24 historically underrepresented and/or economically disadvantaged teacher candidates at SUNY Brockport:
- Membership in a diverse cohort
- Access to professional mentoring and career guidance
- Stipends for technology, transportation, internet, professional attire, certification and exam fees
- Professional development opportunities
- Connections to local school districts
- Tuition reimbursement for winter or summer courses
The Teacher Opportunity Corps II is a New York State Education Department grant-funded program developed to increase the number of historically underrepresented and economically disadvantaged individuals in teaching careers. TOC II programs incorporate strategies for teacher retention and best practice, such as mentors for new teachers and differentiated instructional techniques. The State Education Department seeks to invest in programs that bolster the retention of highly qualified individuals who value equity and reflect the diversity inside and outside of our classrooms, particularly in high-need schools with recurrent teacher shortages.
Eligibility for the state Teacher Opportunity Corps (TOC) II program:
- A resident of New York state
- Belonging to a historically underrepresented population in the teaching field, defined by the funder as African American, Alaskan Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic American, or Pacific Islander
- Economically disadvantaged students
- Committed to teaching in high-need schools
- Graduate and undergraduate student currently enrolled in a teacher certification program at SUNY Brockport
- Enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours, and in good academic standing
How to Apply
- If not already a student, complete the application process for either undergraduate or graduate admission to be accepted full-time into an eligible undergraduate degree program or graduate education program that leads to New York State teacher certification.
- Apply to the TOC II Program
- Have two people who know your work (such as teachers, community service supervisors, or employers) email letters of recommendation to email@example.com.
- Seminar attendance
- Maintain 2.5 GPA
- Attend Mentor Meetings
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning in May 2022. You can apply before admission to SUNY Brockport but must be admitted into a certification program to be accepted into the Teacher Opportunity Corp.
- Diantha Watts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chris Wilkens (email@example.com)