This subcommittee will discuss, research, and strategize for possible implementation of the following:
- Best practices for landlord programs in college communities
- Enlisting the involvement of local landlords
- Online listing of rental properties with current C of O’s
- Safety of off-campus student housing
- Handling student concerns about rental properties
- Formation of Neighborhood Associations in mixed-residency neighborhoods
Activities & successes from last year:
Food Insecurities SUNY Survey sent to all Brockport students
- Potential on-campus food pantry
- Food Insecurity strategy meeting will take place this summer.
“Change Your Battery” drive in March
- Students were encouraged to change the batteries in their smoke and CO detectors.
- Free batteries were handed out at the Off-Campus and Commuter Desk in the Union.
Two Off-Campus and Commuter Resource Fairs
- Sixteen vendors and more than 300 students attended.
- Good Neighbor and Renters Rights information was distributed.
Eagle Eats in May on the corner of Utica and Monroe from 10 pm to midnight
- More than 200 students attended, and food ran out by 11:30.
- Funded by the OASIS grant
Welcome Back Picnic during Welcome Week
- More than 50 students attended
AY 2020-2021 Annual Report
JENNIFER WOOD, CHAIR
- The ability of this subcommittee to take on its usual scope of activities continued to be hampered by COVID-related restrictions, but we are hopeful to resume normal function in the coming academic year.
- This subcommittee worked in collaboration with a committee on Student Basic Needs (SBN) to address the issue of food insecurity discussed at the December 2020 meeting. Immediate plans include a focus on establishing an on-campus food and resource pantry. The SBN Committee, in conjunction with a group of senior social work students, explored areas of need and feasibility for action. This project culminated with a tentative proposal with potential for forward momentum. It is the hope of this subcommittee that establishment of this on-campus resource might be implemented during this academic year.
- We intend to further explore the establishment of a neighborhood association.
- Participation in this subcommittee has been limited; we will seek to add additional interdisciplinary members from across the University and the Brockport community.