A Waste Audit was conducted at two Residence Halls (which will remain nameless to protect the innocent) on January 26 from 11 am – 2 pm. The overnight trash was sorted into categories and weighed (kg).
Guess Which Picture is Trash Versus Bags of Recyclables, Donations & Composting Materials Found in the Trash?
Picture A was actual trash meant for a landfill while picture B was bags of recyclables that were found in the trash.
Waste Audit Breakdown
- Landfill: 36.34 kg
- Recycling: 24.87 kg
- Compost: 8.4 kg
- Can/Bottle Deposits: 1.35 kg
- Donation: 1.74 kg
- Plastic Bags: 1.32 kg
What were the common incorrectly trashed items?
- Paper, cardboard, notecards
- Water bottles, Other plastic bottles, Take out clam shells (clean), Plastic Bags
- Aluminum cans
- Reusable bags, donations, electronics & Vaping cartridges
- Compostable materials including food waste
Take A Quick Quiz
Not all trash is created equal and more recycling and other landfill diversion is necessary.