22nd Annual Diversity Conference
“Creating Brave Spaces ”
MARCH 27, 2024
Creating Brave Spaces is designed to promote engagement in and make room for respectful yet challenging dialogue; brave spaces are where diversity of thought, and opinion can simultaneously co-exist in our community. The conference will focus on how we can create, foster, and sustain brave spaces throughout SUNY Brockport.
Call for Proposals
Early Bird Submission: Friday, November 20, 2023
Proposal Submission Due Date: Wednesday, December 20, 2023
We invite and encourage students, faculty and staff to submit a proposal. We request proposals that are 45 - 75 minutes in length (including Q&A) that relate to the conference theme. Presentations should focus on research or evidence-based actions that result in awareness, knowledge and skill development referencing one or more of the above-mentioned conference themes.
*PLEASE NOTE: Student presenters must co-present with a faculty and/or staff member.
Programs may include one or more of the following EDI-relevant suggested categories:
- Culturally responsive/relevant practices and teaching strategies in engaging diverse populations
- Effective recruitment and retention efforts of underrepresented populations
- Utilizing diversity data as a benchmark for systemic and strategic change
- Recognizing and addressing power, privilege, and difference
- Gender Equity
- Restorative Justice Initiatives
- Social and cultural differences (e.g., race, language, socioeconomic class, religious beliefs, sexuality, etc.)
- Policy development for practices of inclusive excellence
- Cross-cultural communication/ Difficult Conversations
- Impact of media/social media on EDI advancement efforts
- Other - we will also consider proposals that may not fall under one of the above categories, but you feel is of importance and relevant to the conference.
SUNY Brockport is fully committed to providing accessible events to all. If you need a disability-related accommodation, please contact us at (585) 395-2024 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should be made by March 21.